Saturday, August 3, 2013

The Spinach: My Fourth Grade Year At Woodstock Elementary School, 1953.



            WWII kids, who are sometimes grouped together as “The Silent Generation”, remember Popeye squeezing a can of spinach right into his mouth.  It made him strong—“strong to the finish!”   Back then, fresh veggies were in short supply for a good part of the year, but thanks to early twentieth century modern canning; there were plentiful servings of what was good for you, spinach. I think the mother of all canned spinach is school.  It’s supposed to be good for you, but it takes a talented teacher to dish it up just right.  
I hated school through all but one of my elementary years.  It began with Kindergarten when I was four.  The minute I entered, I knew I did not belong there.  I thought to myself, “There must have been some mistake!”  If you made a blunder and sucked your thumb, my favorite habit, Mrs. Fast dipped it in awful tasting stuff.  You had to line up to use the bathroom.  Girls hardly ever got a turn to play with the blocks.
The next three years were not much better.  In school, I was very quiet and appeared to learn very little. At home, my mother read to me, or I listened to the radio, set up dramatic scenarios with my collection of plastic animals, and talked to my dog.  Teachers were puzzled as to why I could not seem to learn to read. I did, however, learn to tell time as I watched the clock make its slow progress towards dismissal at 3:30. The minute hand would quiver and then jump forward.          
Then, there was a miracle.  Fourth grade happened.  With her soft brown hair curled in a permanent wave, dignified, graceful, Mrs. Allen wearing a perfect tweed dress and sensible shoes stepped in the door. She had a friendly smile and hidden, blinky, squinty eyes fortified from time to time by glasses.  Mrs. Lillis B. Allen was such a brilliant teacher she gave us the spinach without making us suffer a bit.
Of course, Woodstock was a small town, and I have an older brother, so I had been told how lucky I would be when my turn came to be in her class and that Mrs. Allen would be reading all of Albert Bigelow Paine’s The Hollow Tree stories. What I did not know was she would allow so many unique things in the classroom. 
“If you have to leave to use the bathroom,” she said, “get up, put your name on the blackboard at the side of the room and erase it when you come back.” We were all confounded.  No more raising one or two fingers.  No more embarrassing call outs or questions.  Just go if you need to go. As good as the local myth, she read us The Hollow Tree, stopping each day at just the right moment to keep us in suspense.  At home, I learned to read immediately, as if by magic.  My first book was Walter Farley’s The Island Stallion. I have to laugh when I recall how puzzled I was that each page started with the words “The Island Stallion.”  Since I was reading at home not at school, nobody had told me about headings.  At school, for the most part, I still sat in stunned silence, a classic introvert.  Being around so many people for so many hours of the day depleted my energy.          
Children sixty years ago were not abnormally polite.   There were moments of chaos and distress.  Mrs. Allen used to leave the class alone for about ten minutes in the afternoon to take a break, relax and have a cigarette, and, usually, we stayed quiet.   Once, when we all piled into the coat closet and were caught by Mrs. Allen, we were actually ashamed, and Edie H. who had good political judgment even then, apologized and made us all write a card saying we were sorry.
I appreciate what I learned during that one lovely year.  I still know the cloud formations, and have an undying curiosity about ancient Egypt.  My classmate, Holly G.  told me fourth grade inspired her to become an archaeologist.  Recently, she showed me the National Geographic article Mrs. Allen read us about the opening of King Tut’s tomb. It was a very dull report, but she slowly revealed that long ago archaeological event reading a little every day and showing pictures of the boy-kings’ golden mask to a group of astonished eight and nine year olds.
Working on my own, after having been inspired by Walter Farley’s books, I wrote a book and a song about horses that year. I was very happy to find my little manuscript along with my brother, Norman’s epic “How I Came To Kill A Pirate Captain.” among the things my mother saved in a little box of treasured items.
The rest of elementary school was just spinach.  I went back to watching the clock.  My teachers were probably well intentioned, but, in my case, most were ineffective with the exception of those who taught by instilling dread.  I was one of the terrified children who learned math, and learned it well, from Mr. V., who called all students by barking out their last name (“Boggs!”) and directing them to the blackboard at the front of the class for either success or humiliation, depending on the day’s lesson. 
Teacher evaluation is in the news today.  I don’t buy into the current ratings game. It is well known that teachers are required to have children do well on standardized tests. It’s all part of something we like to call “accountability” which has been a tremendous boon to the testing industry.  I do not know if the testing, the evaluations and pure longevity would have given Lillis Allen her deserved star status and saved her job during a cutback.  I am sure that during her tenure, she was not paid enough nor was she thanked enough for making all that canned spinach seem fresh. 





No comments:

Post a Comment